COMPANY DESCRIPTION: Forbright Bank is a full-service bank, commercial lender, and asset manager headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland. Forbright is a banking and financing visionary leader in clean energy, healthcare, technology, financial services, real estate, and other industries with extraordinary service.
The Forbright Corporate Finance team works with private equity sponsors, lenders and direct borrowers to provide senior secured loans to businesses operating throughout North America. Since inception in 2011, we have led or participated in over 414 debt facilities totaling more than $6 billion of commitments and our current loan portfolio includes more than 130 borrowers with over $2 billion of outstanding commitments. We are generalist lenders with a broad mandate that includes all sizes of borrowers from the lower middle market ($3 million of EBITDA minimum) through multi-billion-dollar corporations with broadly syndicated credit facilities. Forbright Corporate Finance is a high-growth segment of the Bank with significant asset growth planned in 2022.
COMPANY CULTURE: We are a dynamic, high energy, fun, and fast-paced organization that has an exciting growth trajectory, meaningful mission, and embedded responsible environmental, social, and governance (ESG) practices into our daily interactions. We offer our team members a culture of collaboration, inclusion, flexibility, recognition, and giving back. We look to hire individuals that are passionate about our mission, and who are motivated, customer and results-oriented, innovative, adaptable, and thoughtful.
COMPANY MISSION: We are a values-driven institution with an uncommon commitment to decarbonization and sustainability. As the need to build a more sustainable, low-carbon economic system grows increasingly urgent, we are dedicating half of our assets to financing the companies, investors, and innovators driving that change. We are reimagining how a bank should operate in a changing world.
JOB SUMMARY: We are looking to hire a Senior Associate, Corporate Finance that is responsible for reviewing new transactions (“Underwriting”) and ongoing monitoring and ownership of our existing portfolio (“Portfolio Management”). The Candidate typically oversees a portfolio of loans that they have helped underwrite, providing an opportunity to learn from the full cycle of an investment. The estimated time split between Underwriting and Portfolio Management is approximately 50/50, however will vary based on deal flow, portfolio activity, and the Candidate’s experience level.
The position will be hybrid and based in the Chevy Chase, MD office. Candidate is expected to be in-office 2-3 days per week. Travel is intermittent and transaction dependent. The candidate must be willing to travel for meetings as needed.
Key Underwriting Responsibilities:
– Participate in meetings with private equity sponsors and borrowers to develop an understanding of a company.
– Review materials including confidential investment memorandums, management/lender presentations and other documents.
– Read and analyze third-party diligence reports including quality of earnings, industry/market studies, operational diligence, environmental diligence, and others.
– Review financial statements, sponsor models and all other relevant financial information to understand business trends including segment performance, customer growth, etc.
– Identify attributes of a company which support our investment thesis as well as factors which pose a risk to the business. Understand and describe mitigating factors present in the business, structure of the credit, etc. which offset the risks identified.
– Perform industry research to understand macro trends that impact a company and the competitive environment that it operates in.
– Create and write detailed investment memorandums which outline the opportunity. Present investments to the Bank’s investment committee for review and approval.
– Assist in reviewing legal documents to ensure the Bank’s understanding of key business terms. Work with external legal counsel to document final investment terms.
Key Portfolio Management Responsibilities:
– Actively manage and monitor your assigned portfolio on an ongoing basis. Participate in real-time credit discussions as well as scheduled quarterly reviews throughout the life of the loan.
– Review financial statements, budgets and all other relevant financial and non-financial data to maintain and enhance the understanding of the borrower’s financial performance developed during Underwriting.
– Take the lead in managing the process for amendments, waivers and restructurings of borrowers within your assigned portfolio, with support available from senior team members, as needed.
– Monitor assigned portfolio to ensure timely receipt of deliverables and manage the credit file for your assigned portfolio.
– Build relationships with lenders, private equity sponsors, and borrowers through recurring interactions during the life of a loan.
– Support the activities of BancAlliance, a network of community banks advised by Alliance Partners, a subsidiary of Forbright Bank.
– Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two (2) years of experience in a public accounting, financial consulting, valuation, leveraged finance, investment banking, or another area of finance or accounting.
– Outstanding quantitative and qualitative analytical skills.
– Strong knowledge of finance and accounting, including financial statement analysis.
– High degree of organization with an ability to efficiently manage projects with limited supervision.
– Ability to work under pressure on multiple projects in parallel while still meeting deadlines.
– An ability to synthesize information from various sources and comprehend multiple, distinct points of views on any given topic.
– Strong oral and written communications skills with the ability to express ideas in a persuasive, organized, and articulate manner.
– Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to maintain relationships at all levels in the organization.
– High proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Excel, Word, and Outlook. Strong Excel based modeling skills.
– Understanding of debt finance products and services, risk management and credit quality across different industry sectors.
– Familiarity with CapitalIQ, Pitchbook, Bloomberg, and other market data sources.
For Forbright Bank to remain efficient and nimble as a growing organization, team members are expected to exhibit a high level of flexibility regarding any duties that may be situationally assigned outside of this job description.
💼 Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans
🌴 4 weeks PTO
💰 401k + company match
🚉 Metro SmartTrip benefits ($50/mo)
💻 WFH flexibility
🚴 Bonuses for purchasing solar panels, electric vehicles, biking to work, etc.
🍎 Paid subscriptions to Veterans Compost, Imperfect Foods and more!
Forbright Bank is committed to cultivating an environment that promotes diversity as a fundamental value. We welcome employees with a range of experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives. Forbright Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer.