FIRM DESCRIPTION: Forbright Bank is a full-service bank, commercial lender, and asset manager that is committed to accelerating the transition to a sustainable, clean energy economy by financing the companies, investors, and innovators driving that change. Headquartered in Chevy Chase Maryland with approximately $6.5 billion of owned and managed assets, the Bank provides lending, banking, and asset management services to clients across the United States. Forbright completed multiple capital raises in 2021 led by private equity firms Centerbridge Partners, Blackrock, Gallatin Point Capital and Bayview Asset Management and is poised to grow rapidly during 2022 and beyond. Through this infusion of capital, the Bank continues to build upon its longstanding business plan as a national business bank targeting attractive sectors of the middle market – lender finance, commercial real estate, healthcare, and secured leveraged loans, while expanding its mission to focus on sustainable finance principles.
The Forbright Specialty Lending team consists of three distinct business lines: Lender Finance, Direct Real Estate and “A” Note Real Estate Lending. Lender Finance provides senior warehouse loans to other Lender’s (Fintech, Consumer Loans, Small Business Loans, Real Estate Loans, Renewable Loans), Lending Platforms, and Investors (Private Equity, Venture Capital, Credit Funds) of various loans, leases and alternative financial assets, and selectively enters into forward flow purchasing arrangements with fintech loan originators. The Direct Real Estate business works with middle and lower market real estate funds to provide bridge loans on “value add” acquisitions of commercial real estate. The “A” Note Real Estate business provides first out loans to debt funds that originate bridge and construction loans to institutional real estate sponsors.
The Bank has made sustainability, decarbonization and ESG central to its mission and believes it is the first bank in the United States to do so. During 2021, the Bank took several steps to integrate sustainability and ESG into its operations. These include becoming the 7th bank in the United States to become a signatory to the U.N. Principles of Responsible Banking, implementing a Responsible Investment Policy that prohibits the Bank from pursuing certain business opportunities that are against broader sustainability goals (and which also pose risk to the institution) and hiring a full-time Director of ESG. The Bank hopes to become a model for how other banks can address climate risk and integrate ESG into its operations. This expanded mission fits well with the Bank’s legacy business plan and competencies as well as expanded the Lender Finance team’s mandate into sustainable assets.
GENERAL SUMMARY: This position will be part of the team leading and managing credit risk for the Specialty Lending Portfolio at Forbright Bank. The Portfolio Analyst / Associate will monitor loan performance, identify potential issues and minimize the risk of loss for the Bank, with oversight from the Portfolio Management Directors.
Travel is intermittent and transaction dependent. Willingness to travel for portfolio meetings as needed is required but is expected to be relatively infrequent.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A successful candidate will:
- Monitor operating performance, financial condition, and credit risk for assigned borrowers to proactively identify issues and resolve problems in a timely and effective manner.
- Act as a primary daily point of contact with assigned borrowers to ensure compliance with loan agreements and the borrower is performing at an acceptable level. Oversee the daily needs of the borrowers to ensure borrower funding requests and other borrower requests are fulfilled.
- Analyze borrowing bases on revolvers and draw requests on real estate loans.
- Create, prepare and update loan tracking information reports to be shared with and analyzed by the Specialty Lending and executive team of the Bank.
- Effectively communicate identified credit risks and recommended actions to the Specialty Lending managing directors and Portfolio directors.
- Ensure that required borrower reporting is received on a timely basis.
- Perform financial analysis on reporting provided by borrowers, tracking the trends and developments which may impact loan performance.
- Complete the risk rating, criticized asset management, and review processes for assigned borrowers, with oversight from the Portfolio Management directors.
- Complete special projects and other duties on an as needed basis.
For Forbright Bank to remain efficient and nimble as a growing organization, team members are expected to exhibit a high level of flexibility regarding any duties that may be situationally assigned outside of this job description.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a 4-year accredited institution is required. Minimum of 2-3 years of lending, credit risk management or portfolio management experience with a commercial finance company or bank.
- Acute attention to detail with the ability to think critically and independently.
- Comfortable with quickly raising potential, material issues and negative trends to the Specialty Lending management team as soon as identified, even if the team member isn’t 100% confident in their assessment.
- Willingness to learn how to read and interpret loan and legal documentation.
- Well-developed organizational skills, including the ability to multi-task and prioritize work, with priorities changing throughout the week.
- Exceptional attitude and commitment to teamwork.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, with a willingness to learn new analysis techniques and methods.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, including casually socializing with others on customary video / phone calls.
- A foundational understanding of accounting and finance matters with a willingness to learn additional topics relevant to Specialty Finance.
- High proficiency with Excel and other Microsoft Office products.
💼 Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans
🌴 4 weeks PTO
💰 401k + company match
🚉 Metro SmartTrip benefits ($50/mo)
💻 WFH flexibility
🚴 Bonuses for purchasing solar panels, electric vehicles, biking to work, etc.
🍎 Paid subscriptions to Veterans Compost, Imperfect Foods and more!
Forbright Bank is committed to cultivating an environment that promotes diversity as a fundamental value. We welcome employees with a range of experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives. Forbright Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer