FIRM DESCRIPTION: Forbright Bank is a full-service bank, commercial lender, and asset manager that is committed to accelerating the transition to a sustainable, clean energy economy by financing the companies, investors, and innovators driving that change. Headquartered in Chevy Chase Maryland with approximately $6.5 billion of owned and managed assets, the Bank provides lending, banking, and asset management services to clients across the United States. Forbright completed multiple capital raises in 2021 led by private equity firms Centerbridge Partners, Blackrock, Gallatin Point Capital and Bayview Asset Management and is poised to grow rapidly during 2022 and beyond. Through this infusion of capital, the Bank continues to build upon its longstanding business plan as a national business bank targeting attractive sectors of the middle market – lender finance, commercial real estate, healthcare, and secured leveraged loans, while expanding its mission to focus on sustainable finance principles.
The Forbright Lender Finance team works with loan agents and borrowers throughout North America to provide senior warehouse loans to other Lender’s (Fintech, Consumer Loans, Small Business Loans, Real Estate Loans, Renewable Loans), Lending Platforms, and Investors (Private Equity, Venture Capital, Credit Funds) of various loans, leases and alternative financial assets. The team also selectively seeks to enter into forward flow purchasing arrangements with fintech loan originators.
The Bank has made sustainability, decarbonization and ESG central to its mission and believes it is the first bank in the United States to do so. During 2021, the Bank took several steps to integrate sustainability and ESG into its operations. These include becoming the 7th bank in the United States to become a signatory to the U.N. Principles of Responsible Banking, implementing a Responsible Investment Policy that prohibits the Bank from pursuing certain business opportunities that are against broader sustainability goals (and which also pose risk to the institution) and hiring a full-time Director of ESG. The Bank hopes to become a model for how other banks can address climate risk and integrate ESG into its operations. This expanded mission fits well with the Bank’s legacy business plan and competencies as well as expanded the Lender Finance team’s mandate into sustainable assets.
GENERAL ROLE DESCRIPTION: The Investment/Credit Analyst will work closely with the Managing Directors of Lender Finance to grow and build out the Lender Finance practice at the bank. The main function of the Credit Analyst is to analyze, evaluate, structure, and close asset-based loan and forward flow purchase opportunities. The Credit Analyst will also monitor and manage borrower relationships after closing of the transaction. The Credit Analyst will have the opportunity to lead deals working closely with a Managing Director. This is a high impact role with significant opportunity for personal growth. The Lender Finance team looks at a wide variety of opportunities, with many having materially different asset classes, risks, profiles and structures. Candidates should expect that each deal will be unique and will not be similar to the previous deal, allowing for continuous ongoing learning and exposure to different asset classes and risk on a near daily basis.
Travel is intermittent and transaction dependent. Willingness to travel for meetings as needed is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A successful candidate will:
- Participate in meetings with private equity sponsors and borrowers to develop an understanding of a company.
- Review materials including confidential investment memorandums, management/lender presentations, and other documents.
- Evaluate senior financing requests to determine credit quality of opportunities and appropriate loan structures.
- Identify specific merits, risks, and mitigants for each transaction.
- Lead due diligence on loan and investment opportunities working closely with a Managing Director.
- Create an investment thesis (go / no go decision) for each transaction and make investment recommendations to the Managing Director.
- Advocate for and present deals for approval to the Bank’s Officers Loan Committee.
- Construct and maintain detailed financial models and develop sensitivity analyses.
- Generate internal approval memoranda and draft term sheets.
- Perform market, industry, and sponsor due diligence.
- Assist in all aspects of origination activity leading to the closing of new transactions.
- Proactively monitor and enforce the terms of the loan agreement for lending relationships in conjunction with the portfolio management team.
- Maintain continuing dialogue with borrowing clients to promote “sticky” positive working relationships.
- Coordinate investment closings with the bank’s operations team.
For Forbright Bank to remain efficient and nimble as a growing organization, team members are expected to exhibit a high level of flexibility regarding any duties that may be situationally assigned outside of this job description.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 1-2 years of relevant financial services, investment banking or lending experience. Structured/Lender Finance experience strongly preferred.
- MBA or other master’s degree helpful.
- Outstanding quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, including financial modeling in lender/structured finance.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Be a self-starter and highly motivated to learn new skills including technical transaction structures, legal negotiations, and risk mitigation techniques.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills with a strong work ethic.
- Strong financial statement analysis skills with a firm grasp of accounting and finance matters.
- Exceptional attitude and commitment to teamwork.
💼 Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans
🌴 4 weeks PTO
💰 401k + company match
🚉 Metro SmartTrip benefits ($50/mo)
💻 WFH flexibility
🚴 Bonuses for purchasing solar panels, electric vehicles, biking to work, etc.
🍎 Paid subscriptions to Veterans Compost, Imperfect Foods and more!
Forbright Bank is committed to cultivating an environment that promotes diversity as a fundamental value. We welcome employees with a range of experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives. Forbright Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer